This error is generally due to one of four things:
- anti-virus is blocking your game launch or installation;
- an incorrect delivery of the game files by the Steam service;
- your DirectX installation is out of date;
- you are using a beta version of an AMD card driver.
If you have antivirus, please follow these trouble shooting steps HERE
If that doesn't work or you don't have anti-virus, please validate your files, by right clicking on the game title in the Library of the Steam client. Then pick: Properties > Local Files > Verify integrity of game cache.
Secondly, right click the game in your list and "delete local content". Then, reinstall your game, preferably to a different drive or folder if available. Please ensure you have enough local space to install and run your game.
If that doesn't help, please try this:
- Completely exit Steam.
- Navigate to your Steam installation folder (~C:\Program Files\Steam)
- Delete the 'appcache' folder.
- Restart your computer and attempt to launch the game through Steam
If you are currently using the Beta version of drivers 14.6 for your AMD video graphics card, please downgrade to the latest "final" version of the drivers. Please note that it is generally good practice not to install and use Beta drivers until they are finalized, as they can cause issues with your computer.
You can update your DirectX here.